This free program (including college tuition and materials) provides the personal support students need to succeed.
Gateway to College is a high-quality, instruction-led educational experience in an alternative environment: a college campus. Gateway is looking for students who have the desire and determination to learn, work hard, and earn a high school diploma and college credits.
- Gateway graduates receive a traditional high school diploma from their district high school while earning college credits toward an associate degree or certificate.
- The program is open to students between the ages of 17 and 20 who may not have had success in other learning environments.
- Gateway to College offers flexible schedules and classes each semester.
- The program covers the cost of tuition and books for eligible students. Students pay only a minimal fee each semester associated with classes, college resources and labs.
Mia joined in the spring of 2021 and is graduating high school in May, a year earlier than her peers. She will leave PCC with approximately 30 college credits, which equates to about two semesters worth of school work at full-time status. Last month she was accepted by her first-choice college, Marymount University in Virginia, with academic scholarships included. She plans to pursue a political science degree and attend law school. It is easy to recognize how much ambition Mia has. At the age of 16, she has already strategically planned for her future. We are so proud of Mia and wish nothing but the best for her in her future endeavors.
- 2003 – Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation provides funding ($13.1 million) to replicate Gateway to College model
- 2009 – Pueblo site established, followed by Durango (2012) and Fremont (2014)
- 2013 – Gateway to College grows to 33 programs in 23 states
- 2015 – Gateway to College celebrates service to more than 20,000 students
- 2016 – PCC site recognized with the Gateway to College National Achievement Award (currently working with 8 school districts)
- 2017 – PCC site recognized with the Gateway National Excellence Award
- 2018 – PCC site recognized with the Gateway Graduation Achievement Award
- 2019/2020 – PCC site recognized with the Gateway National Excellence Award