Important Application Notes
- The Dental Hygiene Program has a selective admissions policy due to the onsite clinic capacity of twenty six. All application materials are electronic and can be found on the Dental Hygiene home page.
- All applicants must have a minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA.
- There are 8 general education courses required for the Dental Hygiene Program. They can be found on the Dental Hygiene Requirements page.
- At a minimum, applicants need to complete 4 of the 8 general education courses by the end of the fall semester (2 of the 4 must be the required science courses) to be considered for the application deadline of February 1st. It is recommended that the applicants complete as many courses as possible prior to the application deadline, as points are awarded for courses completed.
- Applicants must have all fall grades submitted and demonstrate evidence of enrollment in at least 2 additional courses in the spring semester; with the final 2 courses being completed in the summer.
- Applicants are highly encouraged to meet with a PCC Dental Hygiene Faculty Advisor. Evaluation of courses can be completed using an unofficial transcript(s) during the advising appointment.
Applicants will receive points during the application process in the following areas:
- GPA - 30 points (minimum 2.7 GPA-higher GPA = more points awarded)
- TEAS score – 20 points (only the reading, science, and composite score will be utilized). Minimum composite score of 63 is required for application consideration.
- Completion of General Education Requirements - 32 points (Only the most recent course grade for each of the 8 general education requirements will be awarded points based on letter grade earned A=4 points, B = 3 points, C=2 points. Courses not completed but enrolled = 0 points.)
- Special Categories - 18 points (PCC applicant, met with Dental Hygiene Faculty Advisor, Dental Hygiene essay, Points given for taking more than one general education requirement course per semester). Points only awarded for advising appointments between February 1st and December 15th of current application year (2024).
Applicants will be required to submit:
- Dental Hygiene Program Application for current year.
- ALL College/University unofficial transcripts (minimum 2.7 Cumulative GPA). Must be submitted in .pdf form.
- Transcripts must be included in the application. If all transcripts are NOT included in the application, the committee will not continue the selection process. The committee will NOT ask the records office for those transcripts.
- Signed copy of the Dental Hygiene Program Estimated Cost Information Sheet.
- Signed copy of PCC’s Dental Hygiene Program Policies on Infectious Diseases, and Infectious Disease Testing and Vaccination.
- Signed copy of PCC’s Dental Hygiene Program Essential Functions of a Dental Hygienist
- Signed copy of PCC’s Dental Hygiene List of Disqualifying Offense
- Dental Hygiene Essay
- TEAS test total score sheet
All required supplemental materials MUST be submitted in .pdf form. If all required supplemental materials are not submitted in .pdf form, the committee will NOT continue the application process.
Things to note
- Applicants will be required to take the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) for Allied Health examination. For application consideration, a minimum composite score of 63 is required. The reading, science, and composite scores are utilized in admissions scoring.
Applicants will need to make an appointment with the college Testing Center of your choice. If testing at PCC please call 719-549-3091 with questions or manual scheduling. Please select Pueblo CC Pueblo PN when prompted.
- Applicants may take the exam a maximum of twice in a 12 month period.
- Applicants may submit scores from TEAS taken within the last 5 years.
- A study guide and additional information is available at ATI Testing.
- For the 2024 application cycle, the observation of a Dental Hygienist is not required, but highly encouraged. It is vital that you understand that this is the right career for you.
- Applicant’s interview is contingent upon completing and submitting all necessary components into the application: All college transcripts, supplemental forms, and TEAS total score by application due date of Feb 1st.
- All applicants will be notified by letter of their interview status. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee the applicant will receive an interview.
- If the applicant is selected for an interview, the letter will indicate the interview date. Interviews are typically held within the first few weeks of March. All interviews must be conducted in person. No interviews by telephone, Zoom, etc. are permitted.
- Applicants are responsible for all travel expenses
COVID-19 Vaccination – Full vaccination for COVID is required for all students prior to entrance into the Dental Hygiene Program. This is based on the most reliable information available at this printing and is subject to change at any time.
Once an applicant has been offered admission to the program, they will be required to submit OFFICIAL transcripts from ALL college/universities attended, showing completion of all required dental hygiene general education courses. Transcripts must be sent directly to Pueblo Community College Records Department from ALL college/universities. They cannot be submitted by the applicant.
PCC Dental Hygiene Background/Drug Screen Requirement
The Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA), which is responsible for licensing dental hygiene personnel in Colorado, has varied restrictions, which may affect persons with a history of a felony conviction. The Pueblo Community College Department of Dental Hygiene assumes no responsibility for the denial of licensure by DORA. Prospective students are responsible for contacting DORA (303-894-7800) concerning any questions regarding their eligibility for licensure. PCC Dental Hygiene requires all students to successfully complete a drug screen and background check. Both must be complete once the student is notified of admission. See attachment for disqualifying offenses.