columns of AB Building

Residency Classification

Residency classification is based on the information you provide on your application. To be eligible for in-state tuition, a qualified person** must be able to show domicile and intent in Colorado for at least 12 months prior to the beginning of the first day of the semester.

**Qualified Person: individual eligible to establish Colorado domicile and begin the one year domicile period necessary to qualify for in-state tuition

  • Adults – at least 23 year old, or are married, or are emancipated from your parents
  • Emancipated minors – Under 23 years old and your parent(s) have entirely surrendered the right to your care, custody, and earnings and if they have made no provision for your support.
  • Unemancipated minors – Under 23 years old and depend on your parent(s) for financial support.

To quality for in-state rates at Pueblo Community College, a qualified person must display both domicile and intent.

  • Domicile - Physically reside in Colorado for 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of the semester.
  • Intent - Have legal ties to Colorado for 12 consecutive months preceding the beginning of the first day of the term with the intent to remain in Colorado indefinitely.  Examples of legal ties (intent) defined by the state of Colorado may include:
  1. Colorado driver’s license
  2. Colorado Registered voter
  3. Colorado vehicle registration
  4. Employment
  5. Filing and withhold state taxes as a Colorado resident

More information concerning Colorado residency information can be found on Colorado Department of Higher Education Residency Requirements.


If you are active duty, or a military dependent, whose permanent duty station is in Colorado, you may be eligible for in-state tuition rates.  Please complete the Military Tuition Status Form.  For questions, contact the Admissions Office at 719-549-3015.

New Mexico Reciprocity (NMR) Program

Program allowing New Mexico residents to attended PCC at a reduced tuition rate.  Students must complete the New Mexico Reciprocity Agreement and provide evidence of residency in New Mexico.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Program

The WUE program is a program allowing students in 14 participating states to enroll in designated two-year institutions at a special, reduced tuition rate application only to WUE students. Residents of the following states are eligible for the program: Alaska, Arizona, California, Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Student must complete the Western Undergraduate Exchange Program and provide evidence of their residency from their participating state.

Classified as a Non-Resident?

If you believe you were incorrectly classified and meet the residency requirements above, please select the option below that best meets your situation. 

  1. First time student at PCC or haven’t attended PCC within the last year: Correction to Application
  2. Emancipated minor or have been attending PCC within last year as a non-resident: Petition for In-State Tuition Classification

If you still have questions concerning your residency, please contact the Admissions Office to determine your best course of action.

Admissions Office: 719-549-3014 or 719-549-3087 or

Residency Change Request Deadlines & Process

  • The deadline to submit the Correction to Application form or the Petition for In-State Tuition Classification form is the earliest drop date for your courses. 
  • Submitting a residency change request does not imply that your residency will be approved.
  • Correction to Application forms will be reviewed within one week and a Petition for In-State Tuition Classification form will be reviewed within two weeks. A decision will be emailed to your student PCC email account.
  • Non-residents who enroll in classes while their residency classification is being reviewed must pay the non-resident rates to hold a place in classes.
  • If a residency request is approved, you will receive a refund for the difference in tuition.
  • If your residency request is denied, you will be responsible for paying the non-resident tuition if you remain enrolled.
  • Any student who is denied in-state tuition classification after petitioning for in-state tuition may appeal the decision of the Tuition Classification Officer. The student must appeal in writing and provide any additional supporting documentation available to substantiate the claim to in-state tuition classification within 15 days of the denial.


Admissions & Records Office
Student Center, Room 260